Physics/the beginning of the known universe

when sir arthur eddington was writing the text books on stellar evolution he came across the problem of white dwarf stars above a certain size would collapse to infinity.He thought he had made a mistake in his calculating,so left the problem.Dr. Chadra later showed that he was in fact right,that they did indeed collapse not to infinity but to a sigularity.Our current models for the beginnings of the known universe say that it started as an infinitly small point.Could this infinity be the same as eddingtons,in as much that it is only a mathematical infinity  and the physical reality is that it is acctually a large singularity which has lost enough mass to cease being a singularity and did expand as normal matter?

No, our models can only predict back to a certain very small size, not infinitely small.  The rest of your question really makes no sense, when dealing with an infinite quantity we just name it a singularity.  The words are synonymous with "we don't understand what happens now because physics doesn't properly account for infinity."  The rest of it where you're talking about the universe losing mass makes even less sense.  Perhaps you could re-phrase the question.

Dr. Stephen O. Nelson

I can answer most basic physics questions, physics questions about science fiction and everyday observations of physics, etc. I'm also usually good for science fair advice (I'm the regional science fair director). I do not answer homework problems. I will occasionally point out where a homework solution went wrong, though. I'm usually good at explaining odd observations that seem counterintuitive, energy science, nuclear physics, nuclear astrophysics, and alternative theories of physics are my specialties.

I was a physics professor at the University of Texas of the Permian Basin, research in nuclear technology and nuclear astrophysics. My travelling science show saw over 20,000 students of all ages. I taught physics, nuclear chemistry, radiation safety, vacuum technology, and answer tons of questions as I tour schools encouraging students to consider careers in science. I moved on to a non-academic job with more research just recently.

Ph. D. from Duke University in physics, research in nuclear astrophysics reactions, gamma-ray astronomy technology, and advanced nuclear reactors.