Physics/Current in Parallel Circuit

Question
5 identical resistors are connected in parallel to a battery. If the current of 15A flows from the battery, how much current flows through any one of the resistors?

a. 3A  b.5A  c.15A  d.2A  e. 1A

Is this really just a question where I do 15A / 5 and get 3?

Answer
Hello Sona,

Yes, you are right. The current is a flow of electrons. When the 15A current reaches the parallel network, because the resistors are equal, the current divides equally into 5 smaller currents.

If a river had an island in the middle, the current of water would divide in 2 branches. The sum of the 2 branches would be current equivalent to the current before the island was reached.

Each electron making up the current flows through only one of the resistors. Each resistor would have the same number of electrons pass through them per second. That number of electrons per second in an individual resistor would be 1/5th of the current that leaves the battery. Then after passing through the resistors, the smaller individual currents re-unite to form a 15 amp current returning to the battery.

Since the sum of the 5 equal individual currents has to be 15 A when the 5 re-unite, each individual current going through a resistor must be 3 amps.

I hope this helps,
Steve

Physics

Steve Johnson