Physics/heat transfer anommaly

Question
QUESTION: We have set up an assessment based on the assumption that insulating aluminium cans with fleece will slow down the heat loss (described below). We are consistently getting results contrary to the intuition. The uninsulated can hold the temperature nearly as well as the one warped with 3 layers of fleece and  better than cans wrapped up in one or two layers of fleece. Fleece is dry.  Would appreciate help with interpreting those result as i am at loss to explain it to students.

Method:
Steps 2, 3 and 4 need to be done QUICKLY so that you get good results.
1.   Set up the cans as shown. Place the three cans with fleece around them into the cup holders provided.

ANSWER: I get one step.  That makes it kinda impossible to answer the question.

QUESTION: Sorry, here is a full method. Essentially the temperature drops the quickest in can with one layer of fleece, and slowest in naked can and can with 3 layers of fleece
1.   Fill the jug with hot water from the urn and carry it back to your table. Carefully and QUICKLY fill each can with hot water to the brim (top).
2.   QUICKLY Insert a thermometer into each can, put a layer of fleece over the top and use the peg to hold the thermometer in place (as shown below).
3.   QUICKLY Take the initial temperature reading for each of the cans and record it in the table below. Start the timer
4.   Measure the water temperature in each can every TWO minutes for 30 minutes and record in the table provided.

Answer
OK, still a little short.  There is no "as shown below" image attached to your question.  So far, from your written description it doesn't make any sense.  I'd recommend that you change the order in which you pout into the cans and see if the result is repeatable, and perhaps take some numbers.  It might also help if I knew the heat capacity and mass of the fleece.

Physics

Dr. Stephen O. Nelson