Physics/Radium Watch Dials

Question
I wore a Mickey Mouse watch with radium painted hands and numbers for several years as a young boy in the early 1950's.  Should I be concerned about any long term effects?

Answer
Absolutely not.  I mean, did you eat the dial or something?  Given the thin layer of the paint and the tiny amount of actual radium necessary to make a phosphor glow, even if you ate the watch (radium and its decay products are charged-particle emitters, most of the energy in alpha particles, which can't even penetrate your skin) you wouldn't have been exposed to a fraction of the radiation emitted by many common medical tests.  That, and the exposure would be long-term.  Biologically, long-term radiation exposure isn't bad for you because your body adjusts to it...many studies show that it actually lowers disease and cancer rates impressively.  Short, hard doses over the scale of flashes up to days are the dangerous types of exposures.

In short, don't worry.

Physics

Dr. Stephen O. Nelson