Physics/Beats, waves

Question
I am confused about this problem. I know it involves beats but i do not know what to do. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

A violin player hears four beats per second when she compares her note to a 523 Hz tuning fork. She can match the frequency of the tuning fork by tightening her string slightly. What was her initial frequency?

Answer
The beat frequency is equal to the difference between two different frequencies. Since the thing fork was 523Hz, the beat frequency is 4Hz and the player needs to tighten the violin string (the frequency/pitch increases when the tension is increased) the frequency of the violin string must be 4 Hz LESS that the tuning fork or 519Hz.

Physics

James J. Kovalcin