Physics/Help with sig figs please!

I am having trouble with significant figuress in experiments! Thanks for any help you provide!

I have an experiment where i pick the mass, and I chose 200g. So if I want to convert this to mks units i would do the following:

200g נ(1kg/1000g) = 0.2kg

Is this calculation correct/valid?   Then my mass will have one sig fig because of the 200g value.

What do mean but "you chose the mass"? Are you referring to selecting a 200 gram mass from a weight set? If so the number of significant digits for this mass would typically be accurate to +/- 1 gram. In which case your 200 gram mass has 3 significant digits. This 200 gram mass in kilograms would be 0.200 kg.

James J. Kovalcin

I am teaching or have taught AP physics B and C [calculus based mechanics & electricity and magnetism] as well as Lab Physics for college bound students. I have a BS in Physics from the University of Pittsburgh and a Master of Arts in Teaching from same. I have been teaching physics for 34 years. I am constantly updating my skills and have a particular interest in modern physics topics.