Physics/Lasers

Question
Hello Mr.Johnson,

My question is,what the best object a laser can detect(metal,plastic,neon etc.).,and does the distant of the object make a major difference in laser detection.

Thank you for your time

Sincerly,

A Ten

Answer
Hello ALEXANDER,

Please open
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/LIDAR
Notice that it says that LIDAR "can be used with a wide range of targets, including non-metallic objects, rocks, rain, chemical compounds, aerosols, clouds and even single molecules".

When conditions are good between the object and the LIDAR unit, detection over very long distances is possible. Reflectors on the moon can be targeted to determine the distance to the moon with millimeter precision. But poor conditions such as smog, rain, etc. can inhibit detection of objects much closer to the LIDAR.

I hope this helps,
Steve

Physics

Steve Johnson