Physics/Mousetrap Car

Question
QUESTION: Hi,

So here is my problem. I have built a mousetrap car and when I run it, it jumps and make my car steer to the right, and makes me lose my straightness. Is there any advice you can give me to make my mousetrap car not jump.

Thanks,

Avi

ANSWER: I would suggest a gear.  Your acceleration will be lower, but your maximum velocity will be much higher and more under control.

QUESTION: I can't use a gear because the speed of the mousetrap snapping is what is causing the problem. And adding gears wouldn't do a thing.

Thanks,

Avi

Answer
But that's exactly what I'm talking about.  If you geared it down it wouldn't snap like that.  You need to have the mousetrap connected to a pull-string around a small gear attached to a large gear.  That larger gear has a second string around it.  This will lower the forces dramatically and increase the acceleration distance.

Physics

Dr. Stephen O. Nelson