Physics/Will it ever be possible to travel back in time via a time machine to the year of 1914?

Will it ever be possible to travel back in time via a time machine to e.g. the year of 1914?

No, most theories involving time travel postulate mechanisms which require the time machine to be built before the maximum date you could send someone or even some message back to.  Therefore, if we invented one today, you might be able to travel back to today from some point in the future.  That appears to be the true limit of time travel, barring the discovery of a looping wormhole or other natural phenomenon that has time travel inherently built into it.  In such a case, you wouldn't have a choice about when it sent you to.

Dr. Stephen O. Nelson

I can answer most basic physics questions, physics questions about science fiction and everyday observations of physics, etc. I'm also usually good for science fair advice (I'm the regional science fair director). I do not answer homework problems. I will occasionally point out where a homework solution went wrong, though. I'm usually good at explaining odd observations that seem counterintuitive, energy science, nuclear physics, nuclear astrophysics, and alternative theories of physics are my specialties.

I was a physics professor at the University of Texas of the Permian Basin, research in nuclear technology and nuclear astrophysics. My travelling science show saw over 20,000 students of all ages. I taught physics, nuclear chemistry, radiation safety, vacuum technology, and answer tons of questions as I tour schools encouraging students to consider careers in science. I moved on to a non-academic job with more research just recently.

Ph. D. from Duke University in physics, research in nuclear astrophysics reactions, gamma-ray astronomy technology, and advanced nuclear reactors.