Physics/Spring

Question
I want to place a tennis ball upon the end of a 2' x 1" piece of material and then bend it in order to project the ball for my dog.

What substance or composition material would give me the most spring power ?

Thanks,
Ron

Answer
I'm not an engineer, this is probably better suited to them. You don't want something that will wear out, assuming multiple flexings.  I would say something like a piece of fiberglass (since they make diving boards out of it), but if you want something more durable and fancy then you need some carbon fiber composite (available on the internet).  It's not hard to cut fiberglass to the right shape or to form pre-made carbon fiber composite to the shape you want.  Getting the stiffness right will require some experimentation.

Physics

Dr. Stephen O. Nelson