Why base current is smaller than collector current in normal operation of transistor?

Please forgive my delay in responding -- it's the only way I can think of, to ensure that I do not assist with academic work, of which homework is just one small part.

Anyway, the whole POINT of a transistor is to have a small signal -- the base current -- and have it control a large signal -- the collector current. Whether the transistor is acting as a analogue signal amplifier, meaning fluctuations in the base signal (a small current) cause the same fluctuations in the collector current (a large current); or if the transistor is a digital processor, where a small base current coming On results in the large collector current to also turn On; the purpose is the same: take something small, and make a (near) exact copy of it on a much larger scale. If transistors did not do this, nobody would use them.

I can help with understanding physics that does not involve eggs. I will NOT help with academic or professional questions, which are NOT limited only to homework. Please do not waste your time by asking a question that comes out of ANY kind of academic, professional, or business matters.

Have been fascinated by physical laws ever since I learned, at age seven, that magnets work under water. My study continued through college and has not ceased even after I retired.

B.A. in Physics (with honors) from University of California at Berkeley.M.A. in Physics (with honors) from University of Texas Austin.