Physics/Waves

Question
I am confused about this problem. I know it involves the Doppler effect but i dont know what to do. Thanks for any help.

A submarine with a cruising speed of 15.0 m/s uses a sonar (Sound Navigation and Ranging) device
operating at 15000 Hz. The speed of sound in sea water at the submarine's depth is 1551 m/s.
Calculate the frequency of the echo a sonar operator would receive from a torpedo coming directly
towards the submarine at a speed of 30.0 m/s.

Answer
Hello Jimmy,

Both objects are moving in the medium, so the formula needs to consider V, Vo, and Vs. If the torpedo sensed incoming frequencies, this is the formula that would yield the frequency, f', the torpedo, as observer, would detect:
f' = f*(V + Vo)/(V - Vs)
where f = 15,000 Hz, V = 1551 m/s, Vo = 30.0 m/s, and Vs = 15 m/s.

The same principle can be used again to find the frequency observed by the sub. However the wave reflected back from the torpedo will appear the same as if the torpedo had emitted the frequency f', so now the formula should be written
f'' = f'*(V + Vo)/(V - Vs)
Note that now the observer is the submarine.

I hope this helps,
Steve

Physics

Steve Johnson