Physics/Lasers for locust control

Question
Hello: I saw a TED talk describing a successful prototype of a anti-mosquito laser system built with off the shelf parts,costing only a few thousand dollars: http://video.nationalgeographic.com/video/news/animals-news/anti-mosquito-laser- . While later reading an article about locust swarms destroying a crop in Madagascar,it occurred to me a laser system might be built to deal with these swarming insects.I envision a powerful ground based laser sweeping back and forth,decimating the swarm.Would this be feasible? Thanks!

Answer
This is less feasible, but this company has already done the appropriate research to accomplish it.  All they would have to do is to tune the system parameters to locust wingbeats.  It would be far more difficult to do this in any safe way, however, due to the massive numbers of the swarming locusts.  Highly impractical as a method of dealing with locusts, for certain.  For individual mosquito insects, I can see it, but there's no way to target locusts fast enough and in the numbers you're talking about without far more expensive equipment and FAR more collateral damage.  You'd be better off with a focused sonic pulse weapon that disrupted their wingbeats, perhaps channeled through a beam of ultrasound (simple enough to make) or some other scheme.

Physics

Dr. Stephen O. Nelson