Physics/A Prime Mover

Hello Mr. Kovalcin,

I know this might be out of your scope but I only ask for an "educated" guess on "what" might have created our universe. I've read some lay articles on how quantum mechanics has shrunk "God's sphere of influence".

As for me, I believe there isn't enough data to say if there is or isn't a god but I can't deny my senses and know for a fact that "I" exist and so does matter and energy. Do you think science will be able to tell us the "force" that created matter and energy? What made the "nothing" before the Big Bang?

From a strictly scientific point of view the fact that there isn't enough evidence to say if there "is or isn't a god" means that there isn't a god. Science is based on the existence of evidence.
For example, does light have a medium? The evidence says no because in more than 150 years we have developed no evidence at all in support of its existence and until we do have evidence one way or the other the default position is that it does not exist. That could, of course, change tomorrow if someone comes up with concrete reproducible evidence supporting the existence of the "aether". But until such time as such evidence exists a scientist must assume the aether's non-existence.
As for the formation of our current universe the evidence, although tentative, seems to indicate that about 13.42 billion years ago (remember, "tentative"!) something happened and our universe can into being. At first that seems like an impossible event. After all how does something come into existence from nothing? But what if the total mass-energy of our universe is exactly zero? Accumulating evidence does support such a situation. Interestingly enough gravitational energy is negative while mass-energy is positive and it is beginning to look as if the total sum is, in fact, zero. If that is so, the Heisenberg Uncertainty principle says that we can "borrow" energy dU for a period of time dT as long as the product of the energy borrowed and the time for which that energy is borrowed is less that Planck's constant divided by 2 pi:
If the total mass-energy "borrowed" is, in fact, zero then we can borrow that energy indefinitely leading to an infinite universe. As a matter of fact there may be an infinite number of such universes in existence and some current work is being done in physics on ways to measure the existence of these other universes. But let me repeat that until evidence exists we must assume that such alternative universes do NOT exist. The idea is intriguing but without evidence the default is the null hypothesis!

James J. Kovalcin

I am teaching or have taught AP physics B and C [calculus based mechanics & electricity and magnetism] as well as Lab Physics for college bound students. I have a BS in Physics from the University of Pittsburgh and a Master of Arts in Teaching from same. I have been teaching physics for 34 years. I am constantly updating my skills and have a particular interest in modern physics topics.