Physics/Application of Calculus in Physics

Question
Why do we apply Calculus in Physics when most of the quantities are not continuous and are not symmetrical at all levels of magnification ? Aren't most, if not all, forms of Matter and Energy discrete ? We talk about differential elements of energy, charge, fields, current, liquids and so many other quantities which don't or can't exist and we derive results from such assumptions. How is this right ?

Answer
At the levels where we apply calculus to physics the granular nature of matter just doesn't matter! In reality matter at the level with which we interact with it behaves as if it is continuous. You are correct, of course, that this approach would not be appropriate at the atomic level since the granular nature would dominate at that level or below.

Physics

James J. Kovalcin