Physics/Color Filters

I was wondering how well we are able to create filters that can block out very specific ranges of wavelengths? Like if I wanted to block out all the wavelengths between red and green, and then another filter that blocks out all wavelengths between green and blue, and one for beyond blue. Could in theory someone create glasses that only pick up red, green, and blue, but no shades between?

Sure,. these already exist.  I mean, if you wanted a multi-bandpass filter that might be hard.  But go to or any serious laser supplier and look at interference and bandpass filters.  The easiest way to do what you want might be to split up the light and create separate red, green, and blue beams, then recombine them.

Dr. Stephen O. Nelson

I can answer most basic physics questions, physics questions about science fiction and everyday observations of physics, etc. I'm also usually good for science fair advice (I'm the regional science fair director). I do not answer homework problems. I will occasionally point out where a homework solution went wrong, though. I'm usually good at explaining odd observations that seem counterintuitive, energy science, nuclear physics, nuclear astrophysics, and alternative theories of physics are my specialties.

I was a physics professor at the University of Texas of the Permian Basin, research in nuclear technology and nuclear astrophysics. My travelling science show saw over 20,000 students of all ages. I taught physics, nuclear chemistry, radiation safety, vacuum technology, and answer tons of questions as I tour schools encouraging students to consider careers in science. I moved on to a non-academic job with more research just recently.

Ph. D. from Duke University in physics, research in nuclear astrophysics reactions, gamma-ray astronomy technology, and advanced nuclear reactors.