Physics/E Field

Hi Sir,

The E Field in a conducting sphere is zero, but in a non conductor it is not so..please help me to understand why this is such..THANKS!!

In a conductor, all charge goes to the surface.  Study Gauss's Law and it's obvious that you can have no field inside a conductor because you can't draw a Gaussian surface inside the conductor that contains any charge it if does not break the surface.  It's a conductor, if there's a field it will move charges.  It will keep doing so until the charges minimize the field in the conductor (minimum = 0) and there's no field left to move charges.

Dr. Stephen O. Nelson

I can answer most basic physics questions, physics questions about science fiction and everyday observations of physics, etc. I'm also usually good for science fair advice (I'm the regional science fair director). I do not answer homework problems. I will occasionally point out where a homework solution went wrong, though. I'm usually good at explaining odd observations that seem counterintuitive, energy science, nuclear physics, nuclear astrophysics, and alternative theories of physics are my specialties.

I was a physics professor at the University of Texas of the Permian Basin, research in nuclear technology and nuclear astrophysics. My travelling science show saw over 20,000 students of all ages. I taught physics, nuclear chemistry, radiation safety, vacuum technology, and answer tons of questions as I tour schools encouraging students to consider careers in science. I moved on to a non-academic job with more research just recently.

Ph. D. from Duke University in physics, research in nuclear astrophysics reactions, gamma-ray astronomy technology, and advanced nuclear reactors.