Physics/E Field

Question
Hi Sir,

The E Field in a conducting sphere is zero, but in a non conductor it is not so..please help me to understand why this is such..THANKS!!

Answer
In a conductor, all charge goes to the surface.  Study Gauss's Law and it's obvious that you can have no field inside a conductor because you can't draw a Gaussian surface inside the conductor that contains any charge it if does not break the surface.  It's a conductor, if there's a field it will move charges.  It will keep doing so until the charges minimize the field in the conductor (minimum = 0) and there's no field left to move charges.

Physics

Dr. Stephen O. Nelson