Physics/eV

Question
Hi Steve,

When an electron absorbs energy and goes to a higher energy state does it:

Jumps/shifts to a higher orbit? If so how does it get there since it is not allowed to transit in continous energy...it absorbs discreet eV. Does it just "disappear" from one location and "appear" in another..if so does it not violate the conservation of matter Principle? Thanks!

Answer
No, nothing like that.  The electron has a wavefunction, which shifts to a different form as the electron absorbs the energy. The wavefunction describes how the electron is essentially distributed through the space around the atom (you can argue the finer details, but that's about it).  These semi-classical notions of orbits and such don't really apply at the quantum level.

Physics

Dr. Stephen O. Nelson