Physics/Changing Melting Points

I was wondering if there is any way to drastically change a substances melting point? I have a 3D printer that mostly works at making ABS or PLA plastic models (perhaps also nylon). But those have a fairly cool melting point. I was thinking it might be cool to build models that are themselves molds, but for substances that have a much higher melting point. Problem being molten glass or metals would easily melt the mold. Is there anyway around that problem?

Hello James,

I was wondering if there is any way to drastically change a substances melting point?
Not without changing the substance. And I doubt that your printer could work with the substance after changing it so significantly. But, I have to caution you, this is not my field.

I hope this helps,

Steve Johnson

I would be delighted to help with questions up through the first year of college Physics. Particularly Electricity, Electronics and Newtonian Mechanics (motion, acceleration etc.). I decline questions on relativity and Atomic Physics. I also could discuss the Space Shuttle and space flight in general.

I have a BS in Physics and an MS in Electrical Engineering. I am retired now. My professional career was in Electrical Engineering with considerable time spent working with accelerometers, gyroscopes and flight dynamics (Physics related topics) while working on the Space Shuttle. I gave formal classroom lessons to technical co-workers periodically over a several year period.

BS Physics, North Dakota State University
MS Electrical Engineering, North Dakota State University