Is there a common cheap device that can be used for measuring the humidity in the air? I recently purchased a device that is supposed to keep humidity away from ones firearms, but I purchased it to put in a rubbermaid type container to keep my ABS plastic from absorbing too much humidity.

Hello James,

I found a range of hygrometers at Home Depot.

But I don't know if you need to be concerned -- unless you are involved with molding items with ABS. I found the following:
See the section titled "Chemical and electrical"

I hope this helps,

Steve Johnson

I would be delighted to help with questions up through the first year of college Physics. Particularly Electricity, Electronics and Newtonian Mechanics (motion, acceleration etc.). I decline questions on relativity and Atomic Physics. I also could discuss the Space Shuttle and space flight in general.

I have a BS in Physics and an MS in Electrical Engineering. I am retired now. My professional career was in Electrical Engineering with considerable time spent working with accelerometers, gyroscopes and flight dynamics (Physics related topics) while working on the Space Shuttle. I gave formal classroom lessons to technical co-workers periodically over a several year period.

BS Physics, North Dakota State University
MS Electrical Engineering, North Dakota State University