Physics/Megalon Physics

Hello, I noticed you were willing to answer questions about science fiction

In the Godzilla universe, there is a monster known as Megalon
he looks like this
his hands combine to make a drill that looks like this

no, Megalon is 55 meters tall and weighs 40,000 tons
and he can tunnel through the ground at mach 2

so, I guess my question is, how fast would the drill have to be moving to do that, and how much force would be exerted at the tip of the drill?

Depends entirely on the type of material you need to get through.  You're essentially treating the rock as a fluid at that velocity, so it's entirely speculative.  Force?  I can't even guesstimate it with any accuracy.  Fast? Well, estimate the drill's diameter and multiply mach 2 by a guess factor of about 100 or so...meaning about 1500 miles per hour.  So set the diameter/minute = 150,000 mi/hr and you'll have a rough rpm speed.

Dr. Stephen O. Nelson

I can answer most basic physics questions, physics questions about science fiction and everyday observations of physics, etc. I'm also usually good for science fair advice (I'm the regional science fair director). I do not answer homework problems. I will occasionally point out where a homework solution went wrong, though. I'm usually good at explaining odd observations that seem counterintuitive, energy science, nuclear physics, nuclear astrophysics, and alternative theories of physics are my specialties.

I was a physics professor at the University of Texas of the Permian Basin, research in nuclear technology and nuclear astrophysics. My travelling science show saw over 20,000 students of all ages. I taught physics, nuclear chemistry, radiation safety, vacuum technology, and answer tons of questions as I tour schools encouraging students to consider careers in science. I moved on to a non-academic job with more research just recently.

Ph. D. from Duke University in physics, research in nuclear astrophysics reactions, gamma-ray astronomy technology, and advanced nuclear reactors.