Physics/Megalon Physics

Question
Hello, I noticed you were willing to answer questions about science fiction

In the Godzilla universe, there is a monster known as Megalon
he looks like this
http://images3.wikia.nocookie.net/__cb20080719143140/godzilla/images/4/49/Megalo
his hands combine to make a drill that looks like this
http://i49.tinypic.com/2q0ly4h.png

no, Megalon is 55 meters tall and weighs 40,000 tons
and he can tunnel through the ground at mach 2

so, I guess my question is, how fast would the drill have to be moving to do that, and how much force would be exerted at the tip of the drill?

Answer
Depends entirely on the type of material you need to get through.  You're essentially treating the rock as a fluid at that velocity, so it's entirely speculative.  Force?  I can't even guesstimate it with any accuracy.  Fast? Well, estimate the drill's diameter and multiply mach 2 by a guess factor of about 100 or so...meaning about 1500 miles per hour.  So set the diameter/minute = 150,000 mi/hr and you'll have a rough rpm speed.

Physics

Dr. Stephen O. Nelson