Why do we feel most comfortable in a lying position?

This question is almost outside my expertise because I believe that there are a number of physiological reasons beyond my field. However, I can say that when lying down the force per unit area of your body is less and that this factor alone would tend to increase the comfort level. pressure on the surface of the body deprives the area of contact of sufficient blood flow which in turn leads to greater discomfort and potentially bed sores unless the body is shifted regularly.

James J. Kovalcin

I am teaching or have taught AP physics B and C [calculus based mechanics & electricity and magnetism] as well as Lab Physics for college bound students. I have a BS in Physics from the University of Pittsburgh and a Master of Arts in Teaching from same. I have been teaching physics for 34 years. I am constantly updating my skills and have a particular interest in modern physics topics.