Physics/Portable Telescope introduction in Schools.

Portable Telescope
Portable Telescope  
Dear Prof Steve‎

1. Do you feel Telescopes can be introduced in Optics, Light
chapters/topics as a sub topic in High Schools, Colleges  ?.

2. Do you feel Portable Telescopes instruments purchase in High schools could be a good investment and can be taken in physics labs for practicals and demonstrations ?.

3. What could be the appropriate ages for Portable Telescopes Introduction in High Schools, Colleges i.e. 12-15 years, 16-18 years etc ?.

Awaiting your reply,

Thanks & Regards,
Prashant S Akerkar

Hello Prashant,

I think high school would be too early for most students. In high school the emphasis in the study of optics is the refraction of light in a single lens. I suspect the students already know about telescopes. The point could be made that a telescope uses a series of lenses to accomplish bringing the stars closer.

In a college course, the students could be given the specifications of the lenses in a telescope and they could be asked to calculate the adjustment required (distances between the various lenses) to view a bird 100 m distant.

I hope this helps,

Steve Johnson

I would be delighted to help with questions up through the first year of college Physics. Particularly Electricity, Electronics and Newtonian Mechanics (motion, acceleration etc.). I decline questions on relativity and Atomic Physics. I also could discuss the Space Shuttle and space flight in general.

I have a BS in Physics and an MS in Electrical Engineering. I am retired now. My professional career was in Electrical Engineering with considerable time spent working with accelerometers, gyroscopes and flight dynamics (Physics related topics) while working on the Space Shuttle. I gave formal classroom lessons to technical co-workers periodically over a several year period.

BS Physics, North Dakota State University
MS Electrical Engineering, North Dakota State University