Physics/Power and electricty

Question
Hi Dr.Nelson, I had a question regarding the power equation that uses electricity. I read that P=i^2R tells you power lost during transmission, so does P=iV tell you power generated? (which is technically the same because the power generated would equal to the power lost from the source)and if true, then where does P=V^2/R fit into all this? Does it tell us power lost or generated?

Answer
They're all the same equation, since according to Ohm's law V=IR.  Most materials are Ohmic in nature.  So it's just algebraic substitution.  If you re-write your first equation as P=I^2R=I(IR) and use V=IR then you get P=IV.  You can keep doing that kind of re-writing and get all three power equations.  They're all the same.

Physics

Dr. Stephen O. Nelson