Physics/length contraction

Question
hi i want to know how lorentz realized that length contraction really happens, what paved him to that idea?
is it real contraction or illusion?
any proof of length contraction?
i don't want equations for length contraction but how he theorised it happens?

Answer
He theorized that a finite speed of light would literally mean a contraction in measured length.  You're confused when you ask if it's an illusion.  In this case, real and optical are one and the same.  Light is the thing with which we measure time and space in the end, and a finite speed of light leads to a very real dilation in time and contraction in length as objects approach or recede from you.  Read Einstein's original work "Relativity" about it, it's the definitive explanation you need.  Or a course on relativity.  You need to think differently when dealing with velocities close to the speed of light, you can't let your notion of optical illusions get in the way.

Physics

Dr. Stephen O. Nelson