Physics/water nano technolgy

If one was dealing with nano technology.  Is there a part of the water molecule responsible for refection of images.  As all molecules have to be elined for there to be a reflection so I would assume they are laying a certain way.Is that where the oxyegen and hydrogen touch each other or are bonded?what element in nano technology could hold the water molecule aligned as to keep refection of image properties constant?  do you have any ideas?Also would it be possible to vacuum hydrogen 274 from s space and transport it to this planet safely for research purposes. to make say a hydrogen box to study molecules in?thanks for your time..

Hello tracy,

Let's compare the space you would find between water molecules in liquid water and the wavelength of visible light.

Water molecules are tiny. About 2.75x10^-10 m.
I had trouble finding what the density of water molecules would be on the surface of still water. I think the following approach yields a reasonable estimate. The ice crystal forms in hexagonal shapes. From the information of the formation of ice crystals found in this website
and the application of some trigonometry, I believe the dimension across the hexagon is about 4.5x10^-10 m. Liquid water is slightly less dense than ice, so I believe the surface of water has H2O molecules distributed with gaps of about 4.15x10^-10 m.

Violet has the shortest wavelength in visible light at 3.8x10^-7 m.
That distance is roughly 1000 times more than the gaps of about 4.15x10^-10 m found on the surface of water.

So I don't think the alignment of molecules in water affects the ability of the surface of water to reflect light.

I don't know what you mean by hydrogen 274. Almost looks like a heavy isotope of hydrogen, but I've never seen a hint of such a thing. The suggestion of vacuuming up something in the vacuum of space would not work.

I hope this helps,

Steve Johnson

I would be delighted to help with questions up through the first year of college Physics. Particularly Electricity, Electronics and Newtonian Mechanics (motion, acceleration etc.). I decline questions on relativity and Atomic Physics. I also could discuss the Space Shuttle and space flight in general.

I have a BS in Physics and an MS in Electrical Engineering. I am retired now. My professional career was in Electrical Engineering with considerable time spent working with accelerometers, gyroscopes and flight dynamics (Physics related topics) while working on the Space Shuttle. I gave formal classroom lessons to technical co-workers periodically over a several year period.

BS Physics, North Dakota State University
MS Electrical Engineering, North Dakota State University