Hi Steve,

Waves of the SAME kind interfere constructively or destructively.
What happens when:
1) A Longitudinal wave meets a Transverse wave
2) Longitudinal waves of different wavelengths and frequencies meet
3) Longitudinal and Transverse waves of different frequencies meet

The interference is locally constructive or destructing for number two, numbers 1 and 3 will have little effect on each other unless their displacements are in the same directions.  Basically, you get complex interference and you'd have to ask a more specific question for me to answer it more specifically than that.

Dr. Stephen O. Nelson

I can answer most basic physics questions, physics questions about science fiction and everyday observations of physics, etc. I'm also usually good for science fair advice (I'm the regional science fair director). I do not answer homework problems. I will occasionally point out where a homework solution went wrong, though. I'm usually good at explaining odd observations that seem counterintuitive, energy science, nuclear physics, nuclear astrophysics, and alternative theories of physics are my specialties.

I was a physics professor at the University of Texas of the Permian Basin, research in nuclear technology and nuclear astrophysics. My travelling science show saw over 20,000 students of all ages. I taught physics, nuclear chemistry, radiation safety, vacuum technology, and answer tons of questions as I tour schools encouraging students to consider careers in science. I moved on to a non-academic job with more research just recently.

Ph. D. from Duke University in physics, research in nuclear astrophysics reactions, gamma-ray astronomy technology, and advanced nuclear reactors.