Physics/Thermodynamics

Question
We say black color is a good absorber of heat.
Then why is it that we apply black sheets on our car windows to protect from the sun's glare.
Why doesn't it increase the car's temperature whereas a black cloth worn makes us sweaty.

Answer
We don't, we apply reflective shields if that is our goal.  Though if you apply tinting to the outside, half the heat will be re-radiated outside, so that will help.  Otherwise the light comes through and gets mostly absorbed in the car's dark interior.  The problem with black clothes is that they absorb light completely, but light clothes reflect a large fraction of it entirely.  That means that half the heat of the sun is re-radiated inside both on the way in and back out for black clothes...but for light clothes you might reflect a large fraction of the Sun's light entirely...then it comes down to clothing design and convection to cool us.

Physics

Dr. Stephen O. Nelson