Physics/How Bernoulli principle is applied

Hello Mr. Nelson
I have a question:

1. Can you please explain in simple and brief terms how the Bernoulli's Principle is applied in modern life? I know that the principle is used in planes, but I do not know how that works. Can you explain how this principle applies in planes?

2. Also, is the Bernoulli's Principle applied anywhere else? (in other objects?)

Another question about this...becoming a theme...

Because the pressure applied to a surface by a fluid (air, water, etc) which is moving over it depends on the speed (higher speed = lower pressure), the air moving faster in level flight over the top surface of a plane's wing applies less pressure than the air underneath.  This difference in pressure, multiplied by the area of the wings, gives the lift force.

Bernoulli's principle determines many things.  First and foremost in everyday life, the pressure inside pipes is definitely another application that you deal with it every day.  It determines many things about your pipe pressure as pipe sizes and heights (because Bernoulli's principle includes energy density changes from changes in height).  The application is a little more complex, but it's still absolutely relevant.

Dr. Stephen O. Nelson

I can answer most basic physics questions, physics questions about science fiction and everyday observations of physics, etc. I'm also usually good for science fair advice (I'm the regional science fair director). I do not answer homework problems. I will occasionally point out where a homework solution went wrong, though. I'm usually good at explaining odd observations that seem counterintuitive, energy science, nuclear physics, nuclear astrophysics, and alternative theories of physics are my specialties.

I was a physics professor at the University of Texas of the Permian Basin, research in nuclear technology and nuclear astrophysics. My travelling science show saw over 20,000 students of all ages. I taught physics, nuclear chemistry, radiation safety, vacuum technology, and answer tons of questions as I tour schools encouraging students to consider careers in science. I moved on to a non-academic job with more research just recently.

Ph. D. from Duke University in physics, research in nuclear astrophysics reactions, gamma-ray astronomy technology, and advanced nuclear reactors.