Physics/conservation of information

Question
Steve,
As an curious amateur, I'm attempting to gain a basic understanding the concept of conservation of information.
My question is: When matter is converted directly into energy, where and how is the information of that matter preserved?
Thank you,
Paul

Answer
I'm not directly an expert in this highly mathematical and theoretical end of physics, but I am in the process you describe...so let me try and explain with a specific situation while abandoning math for conceptualization.  Let's say that an electron and a positron collide.  They both have mass and energy and momentum.  They annihilate and create high-energy gammas (usually just two).  The photons have the energy equivalent of mass.  Observers of the photons would see the momentum and energy of the two particles as Doppler shifts in the energy and directions of the emitted photons.  Nothing is lost in this process.  It's like that for all processes, the energy and momentum are not lost...just transformed.

Physics

Dr. Stephen O. Nelson