I read that according to Quantum physics, position of electron cannot be determined precisely. I was wondering how the electronic equipment work so precisely as expected if the path of the electrons is unpredictable. Please clarify.

Dear Ameen:

Sorry for the delay getting back with you.

The uncertainty of an electrons position is very small in a solid system (like a conductors and semiconductors and almost all in conventional electronics).  Even our smallest commercial circuits used in devices tend to be on the order of 100s or 1000s of nanometers.  The amount of uncertainty is more on the order of single nanometers.  This means that the chance of being at the edge of the 'quantum well' that defines the path is low to begin with and that as long as you don't have another  'quantum well' withing a few nanometer, your electrons will stay on the path.

Please feel free to follow up if you need something 'meatier'.

Best regards,

Dr. Jeffery Raymond

Materials chemistry. Materials science. Spectroscopy. Polymer science. Physical Chemistry. General Physics. Technical writing. General Applied Mathematics. Nanomaterials. Optoelectronic Behavior. Science Policy.

Teaching: General Inorganic Chemistry I & II, Organic Chemistry I & II, Physical Chemistry I, Polymeric Materials, General Physics I, Calculus I & II
My prior experience includes the United States Army and three years as a development chemist in industry. Currently I am the Assistant Director of the Laboratory for Synthetic Biological Interactions. All told, 13 years of experience in research, development and science education.

Texas A&M University, American Chemical Society, POLY-ACS, SPIE

Journal of the American Chemical Society, Nanoletters, Journal of Physical Chemistry C, Journal of Physical Chemistry Letters, Ultramicroscopy Proceedings of SPIE, Proceedings of MRS, Polymer News, Chemical and Engineering News, Nano Letters, Small,, Angewandte

PhD Macromolecular Science and Engineering (Photophysics/Nanomaterials Concentration), MS Materials Science, BS Chemistry and Physics, Graduate Certificate in Science Policy, AAS Chemical Technology, AAS Engineering Technology