Physics/The highest mass a 45 tesla magnet can lift?

Question
QUESTION: Hi! I read that the most powerful magnet in the world is 45 teslas in strength. How many tons could we possibly lift with 45 teslas? And how does one determine the mass a magnet can lift?

ANSWER: How big a magnet?  Are you talking a star or a handheld magnet?  Totally different scales.  Or a 45T magnet the size of a car?  Still a different story.  I don't care what you were told, size matters for magnets.

QUESTION: I was talking about this magnet: http://www.magnet.fsu.edu/mediacenter/features/meetthemagnets/hybrid.html

Answer
The mass it could lift depends entirely on the material you're trying to lift.  Since that magnet has no information on its field gradient, there's really no way to tell.  I'm going to guesstimate that it could easily lift a tank, but there's no scientific way to determine this, since that is not the function of a large supermagnet.

Physics

Dr. Stephen O. Nelson