Physics/Laser weapons

Question
Hi! In video games ''Fallout 3'' and ''Fallout New Vegas'' laser weapons have enough power to turn a human completely into ash in one second? Can you estimate the joules needed to be capable of doing such a feat?

Answer
It sounds like a homework question, the way a professor or teacher would phrase it.  Good question, if not, but I don't do homework.  You can estimate it, though.  You need the estimated mass of a human, the fraction of energy absorbed, and the latent heat of vaporization (water is 2260 kJ/kg, which should be a little under...I'd call it 3MJ/kg).  Multiply.  The first two factors are up to you, you didn't tell me how big the human was or what frequency of light.  So guesstimate.  It's a lot of joules.

Physics

Dr. Stephen O. Nelson