Physics/parallel universes

I read about parallel universes and 11 dimensions. Can you please briefly explain what caused scientists to assume the possibility of parallel universes and extra dimensions. What are those extra dimensions?

Briefly explain something that takes years of advanced graduate study to even start to understand?  I can recommend some books, the topic is far too large to answer here.  Go start with Elegant Universe by Brian Greene, it's really well-written.  He's also an excellent professor.  If you get through that, it's written for popular readers and not for scientists, then come look for more recommendations.

Dr. Stephen O. Nelson

I can answer most basic physics questions, physics questions about science fiction and everyday observations of physics, etc. I'm also usually good for science fair advice (I'm the regional science fair director). I do not answer homework problems. I will occasionally point out where a homework solution went wrong, though. I'm usually good at explaining odd observations that seem counterintuitive, energy science, nuclear physics, nuclear astrophysics, and alternative theories of physics are my specialties.

I was a physics professor at the University of Texas of the Permian Basin, research in nuclear technology and nuclear astrophysics. My travelling science show saw over 20,000 students of all ages. I taught physics, nuclear chemistry, radiation safety, vacuum technology, and answer tons of questions as I tour schools encouraging students to consider careers in science. I moved on to a non-academic job with more research just recently.

Ph. D. from Duke University in physics, research in nuclear astrophysics reactions, gamma-ray astronomy technology, and advanced nuclear reactors.