• Home
  • Science
  • Physics
  • Physics
  • Is it possible to create non-thermal plasma by heating a gas and deflect the plasma ions from containment wall by magnetic field?

Physics/Is it possible to create non-thermal plasma by heating a gas and deflect the plasma ions from containment wall by magnetic field?

Question
Imagine a column of gas. By heating the gas to about 1000K, there will be certain degree of ionization of the gas, creating a mixture of ions and gas atoms. As the ions and atoms are in random motion, the ions will be deflected from the walls imbued with magnetic field if they are moving towards it, but atoms should not be affected. In this way, will the plasma formed be concentrated at the center and surrounded by the neutral gas? (Ignoring plasma radiation cooling and assuming that the temperature is constant.)

Answer
At only 1000K?  Good luck with measuring any real effect from that.  You never said anything about the structure of this magnetic field at all, or the density of the gas...but the ionization will be extraordinarily minimal at only 1000K.  So no, it should do nothing noticeable at all.

Physics

Dr. Stephen O. Nelson