Physics/earth's gravitation

Question

If moon revolves earth due to earth's gravitational pull, why does not moon is fully attracted and merge with the earth. Can you please explain.

Answer
Yes, the Earth's gravitational pull on the Moon keeps the Moon revolving in a circle. Otherwise it would just fly off in space.  If you swing a small object around on a string, the tension in the string can only pull along its length...it does not mean the object will merge with you.  It will go in a circle.  Cut the string and release the force, and it will fly in a straight line.  Keep the force, and it will go in a circle (as the Moon does).

Physics

Dr. Stephen O. Nelson