Physics/Laser pointers

Question
I was once pointed in the eye with a laser pointer and it blurred my vision for minutes and I had these residual figures still in my field of vision during those minutes. So how can a light emitter have this powerful effect on the eye when other kind of light emitters like lamps do nothing like that to an eye?

Answer
Hello Mika,

It is a matter of the intensity that entered your eyeball. The sun is very intense and looking at the sun, even at a solar eclipse when most of the sun is covered by the moon, can cause permanent eye damage. Open this website:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Intensity_(physics)
This is a quote from that website. "In physics, intensity is the power transferred per unit area. In the SI system, it has units watts per metre squared (W/m^2)."

The power from a laser is concentrated in a small area. So a measurement of the watts/metre^2 would be a large number. The light bulb in a lamp might put out more total watts than the laser did, but the lasers watts all went in the same direction while the light from a lamp hits all the m^2 in the room.

I hope this helps,
Steve

Physics

Steve Johnson