Physics/lightning

Question

Sometimes lightning strikes some people. Why lightning strike some people and not others, what is the physics behind this?

Regards

Answer
There's not much physics to that.  Lightning will strike the highest connection to ground it can reach.  Lightning bolts have been known to strike whole groups of people at once, who were in the wrong place at the wrong time.  Some factors, such as the insulating nature of various types of shoe, can influence who in a group is most likely to receive the most charge during a lightning strike, but lightning generally strikes people approximately the same way.  The rest depends on where they're standing and when, if the voltage is high enough that the electric fields near their bodies break down the air, they get struck by lightning.

Physics

Dr. Stephen O. Nelson