A race car leaves the put traveling 10.0mls with uniform acceleration of 10.0 mls (squared). How far has the car gone at the end of 5.00 seconds?

Helo Eva,

This is a problem for one of the 4 kinematic formulas that you were probably given. The one to choose for this is
d = Vi*t + (1/2)*a*t^2
where the initial velocity, Vi, is zero, the acceleration, a, is 10.0 m/s^2, and time, t, is 5.00 s. Notice that all the given data has 3 digits. That is a clue that 3 significant digits are expected in the answer.

I hope this helps,

Steve Johnson

I would be delighted to help with questions up through the first year of college Physics. Particularly Electricity, Electronics and Newtonian Mechanics (motion, acceleration etc.). I decline questions on relativity and Atomic Physics. I also could discuss the Space Shuttle and space flight in general.

I have a BS in Physics and an MS in Electrical Engineering. I am retired now. My professional career was in Electrical Engineering with considerable time spent working with accelerometers, gyroscopes and flight dynamics (Physics related topics) while working on the Space Shuttle. I gave formal classroom lessons to technical co-workers periodically over a several year period.

BS Physics, North Dakota State University
MS Electrical Engineering, North Dakota State University