Physics/physics profession

Question

Why some scientists are awarded Nobel prize for physics while others who make similiar discoveries are not awarded. Why physicists are paid less than engineers although they are required to have more knowledge.

Answer
The Nobel prize is only given out once a year, and only to a very small (usually 2-3) group of physicists.  There are tens of thousands of physicists graduating every year, and hundreds to thousands making amazing discoveries.  So that's just impossible.  Therefore, the Nobel committee picks what they deem to be the most important from amongst the nominations.  That's a political process, and not my area of expertise.

Engineers are paid more than physicists on *average.*  However, many physicists are willing to work lower-paying jobs (harder to find) to stay in academic research and/or teaching jobs.  I did it for years, but immediately upon leaving made a lot more money.  There are many physicists who go to work in finance with their analytical skills, they're paid in the millions per year.  It's not about the knowledge or degree, the pay depends on the industry to which that knowledge is applied.

Physics

Dr. Stephen O. Nelson