Physics/rain

Question

Why many times we get rain without thunder, lightning. But sometimes we get with thunder and lightning. Why is it so? Also I read that lightning is triggered by cosmic rays, is that true?

Regards.

Answer
Lightning requires the right type of air currents to form.  This is usually associated with massive amounts of water in clouds moving up and down, but not always.  If you just get enough water vapor in air, with the right temperature shift, you can definitely get rain without the air movement that will separate electrical charges and fuel lightning.  As a laboratory model, look up Van de Graaf generators to better understand the process.

Physics

Dr. Stephen O. Nelson