Physics/tandem accelerators

Question
hello,
experimenting with the 25kV power supply (1.5 mA) i notice a movement in the wires when i switch it on, but it can not be Lorentz Force, so is it just electrostatic attraction to nearby objects?

also please tell me regarding the voltage control you mentioned on the tandem accelerators. you mention it was like a needle? and so this needle was somehow used to regulate the voltage and so that means that on a van da Geraaff i could use the same simplified needle leakage to reduce the voltage of the terminal.

the leakage current has to be more than the input current for this to work as otherwise the input will still keep up the maximum voltage despite the leak; it will be the equivalent of a smaller current van da Geraaff but same voltage otherwise,no?
thank you,
Gene

Answer
Could be electrostatic, could be a current pulse response as your terminals charge up.  Can't say without seeing it.  Probably electrostatic forces.  They can be quite strong.

As far as voltage control, there's usually a needle assembly on a particle accelerator to make a coronal discharge current in the buffer gas.  For a simple Van de Graaf (correct spelling) generator, see here: http://amasci.com/emotor/vdgtame.html

No, not more than the leakage current.  The two are equal in a steady state.  

Physics

Dr. Stephen O. Nelson