Physics/Using water as a magnet

Question
Dear Steve Nelson,

I am an Electrical Engineering student in the UK. I keep having ideas about possible ways of generating electricity. From my limited knowledge on the magnetic properties of water i have been wondering if, with the invention of nano-materials like graphene, it would be possible to use water to generate electricity (other than to drive turbines) like you see when a magnet passes through a coil.
i understand that if it did generate electricity it would be an extraordinarily small amount, but im more curious to see if it would actually work.

Many thanks,

David English

Answer
First, graphene is a material and not really a nanomaterial.  And it has little to do with using water to make electricity.  Water is diamagnetic, so it actually reduces magnetic fields that pass through it.  So you've asked about water producing electricity without any turbines...but do you have a mechanism to propose to do it?  I know of one, but this is obviously not used for commercial energy production... http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kelvin_water_dropper
I believe there are also videos on youtube.

Physics

Dr. Stephen O. Nelson