Physics/circular magnetic fields

Question
A long straight vertical wire carrying a DC current will have circular magnetic field of line around described by the right hand rule. I would like to know where the North and South poles are? Thanks

Answer
There really are no such things as "north and south poles" in a magnetic field.  They always connect back.  If you look at the field inside the bar of a bar magnet itself, north and south connect in an opposite direction.  See the hyperphysics link http://hyperphysics.phy-astr.gsu.edu/hbase/magnetic/imgmag/mearthbar.gif Note that fields go from south to north inside the actual magnet itself.  We define north and south to define "poles" relative to the direction of field we're looking at.  If you look at the field outside the magnet, then you've got north and south poles as traditionally defined.  If you looked at the field inside the magnet, they're actually reversed by definition...but that field is not interesting to us, so we stick to the traditional definition.

Physics

Dr. Stephen O. Nelson