Physics/Colored oil

Question
Can you think of a colored oil substance with magnetic properties? I'm trying to think of a colored oil one could put in water to form oil droplets of different colors and different buoyancy that can level out but be reset by being pulled to the bottom with a magnet.

Answer
Ferrofluid could, I suppose, be dyed.  It would be tough, though, given that the nanoparticles are only 5nm, and visible light is two orders of magnitude longer...but definitely possible if you dye the grease surrounding the nickel-iron alloy particles.  You can even make it yourself, there are instructions on youtube for making it.  There's "colored ferrofluid," too, but I haven't seen anything aside from paint on normal store-bought ferrofluid.  During the manufacture, you need to put oil-based paint into the manufacture process somewhere.  There are tons of instructions, have fun watching hours of video after you search for "making ferrofluid" on youtube.

Physics

Dr. Stephen O. Nelson