Physics/Home window Break

A large home window has been broken and the two people involved have conflicting accounts as to how it happened. Each person blames the break on the other. One person was inside and the other was outside. There was glass both inside and outside the home. Is there a way to tell if the window was struck from the inside or from the outside? The person inside the home had cuts on his hand the person outside did not.

Based on what you wrote here, there is no way to tell the difference.  You would need an anomaly, perhaps something an expert could spot in photographic evidence or in their description of how the glass was broken, to tell.  You have not written anything descriptive aside from the fact that glass was found on both sides of the window.

Dr. Stephen O. Nelson

I can answer most basic physics questions, physics questions about science fiction and everyday observations of physics, etc. I'm also usually good for science fair advice (I'm the regional science fair director). I do not answer homework problems. I will occasionally point out where a homework solution went wrong, though. I'm usually good at explaining odd observations that seem counterintuitive, energy science, nuclear physics, nuclear astrophysics, and alternative theories of physics are my specialties.

I was a physics professor at the University of Texas of the Permian Basin, research in nuclear technology and nuclear astrophysics. My travelling science show saw over 20,000 students of all ages. I taught physics, nuclear chemistry, radiation safety, vacuum technology, and answer tons of questions as I tour schools encouraging students to consider careers in science. I moved on to a non-academic job with more research just recently.

Ph. D. from Duke University in physics, research in nuclear astrophysics reactions, gamma-ray astronomy technology, and advanced nuclear reactors.