Physics/Dark energy and stars

Question
A friend of mine suggested that concentrated dark energy amounts could in theory disrupt the gravity holding a star together and disrupt the nucleosynthesis happening in the star. This would cause the star to explode in a supernova. So does this sound in any way even theoretically possible? I for one find this to be extremely unlikely situation because I'd reckon that it would require orders of magnitude more dark energy to concentrate inside a star than there exists in "nature".

Answer
You're right, and we have never observed anything consistent with that. It would also cool the star off, not make it explode if it disrupted nucleosynthesis.  In some hypothetical extreme case, you could imagine that letting the star collapse and go simple nova, but that's not what we know of dark matter. It appears to be a property of space itself, distributed evenly. It has nothing to do with nucleosynthesis, and certainly shouldn't cause a nova. Even a hypothetical extreme concentration is pretty much just for science fiction.

Physics

Dr. Stephen O. Nelson