Physics/Dark energy and stars

A friend of mine suggested that concentrated dark energy amounts could in theory disrupt the gravity holding a star together and disrupt the nucleosynthesis happening in the star. This would cause the star to explode in a supernova. So does this sound in any way even theoretically possible? I for one find this to be extremely unlikely situation because I'd reckon that it would require orders of magnitude more dark energy to concentrate inside a star than there exists in "nature".

You're right, and we have never observed anything consistent with that. It would also cool the star off, not make it explode if it disrupted nucleosynthesis.  In some hypothetical extreme case, you could imagine that letting the star collapse and go simple nova, but that's not what we know of dark matter. It appears to be a property of space itself, distributed evenly. It has nothing to do with nucleosynthesis, and certainly shouldn't cause a nova. Even a hypothetical extreme concentration is pretty much just for science fiction.

Dr. Stephen O. Nelson

I can answer most basic physics questions, physics questions about science fiction and everyday observations of physics, etc. I'm also usually good for science fair advice (I'm the regional science fair director). I do not answer homework problems. I will occasionally point out where a homework solution went wrong, though. I'm usually good at explaining odd observations that seem counterintuitive, energy science, nuclear physics, nuclear astrophysics, and alternative theories of physics are my specialties.

I was a physics professor at the University of Texas of the Permian Basin, research in nuclear technology and nuclear astrophysics. My travelling science show saw over 20,000 students of all ages. I taught physics, nuclear chemistry, radiation safety, vacuum technology, and answer tons of questions as I tour schools encouraging students to consider careers in science. I moved on to a non-academic job with more research just recently.

Ph. D. from Duke University in physics, research in nuclear astrophysics reactions, gamma-ray astronomy technology, and advanced nuclear reactors.