Physics/dark matter and energy in relativity

Question

If dark matter and energy is not taken into account in relativity equations, how could we say that relativity is still valid as we know that dark matter and energy exists? How could relativity explain movement of heavenly objects without even considering dark matter and energy.

Answer
We "know" that dark matter and dark energy exist from observation, but have no idea what they are.  Also, they have not been shown to be inconsistent with relativity.  In fact, the fact that the movement of heavenly objects is too fast to be explained without more mass than we observe is how we know dark matter exists.  Dark energy is explicitly accounted for in relativity by Einstein, which everyone thought was a huge mistake...but it turns out to be right, he did the math properly.  :)

Physics

Dr. Stephen O. Nelson