Physics/dark matter and energy in relativity

If dark matter and energy is not taken into account in relativity equations, how could we say that relativity is still valid as we know that dark matter and energy exists? How could relativity explain movement of heavenly objects without even considering dark matter and energy.

We "know" that dark matter and dark energy exist from observation, but have no idea what they are.  Also, they have not been shown to be inconsistent with relativity.  In fact, the fact that the movement of heavenly objects is too fast to be explained without more mass than we observe is how we know dark matter exists.  Dark energy is explicitly accounted for in relativity by Einstein, which everyone thought was a huge mistake...but it turns out to be right, he did the math properly.  :)

Dr. Stephen O. Nelson

I can answer most basic physics questions, physics questions about science fiction and everyday observations of physics, etc. I'm also usually good for science fair advice (I'm the regional science fair director). I do not answer homework problems. I will occasionally point out where a homework solution went wrong, though. I'm usually good at explaining odd observations that seem counterintuitive, energy science, nuclear physics, nuclear astrophysics, and alternative theories of physics are my specialties.

I was a physics professor at the University of Texas of the Permian Basin, research in nuclear technology and nuclear astrophysics. My travelling science show saw over 20,000 students of all ages. I taught physics, nuclear chemistry, radiation safety, vacuum technology, and answer tons of questions as I tour schools encouraging students to consider careers in science. I moved on to a non-academic job with more research just recently.

Ph. D. from Duke University in physics, research in nuclear astrophysics reactions, gamma-ray astronomy technology, and advanced nuclear reactors.