Physics/physics - vector calculus

what is the application of del operator?????.......why is it really used?????....what does it actually do???????.......and one more thing , what is application of calculating 'differentiation'?????

The del operator is shorthand for three separate derivative operators, each operating in their orthogonal (meaning at right angles) dimensions.  Written out in full, that's all it is.  It's used when derivatives are required in all three dimensions.  Differentiation means the rate of change.  Therefore the del operator, when acting on something like a function describing voltage over three dimensions, gives the rate of change through space.  In this specific example, that would give you the electric field throughout space.  There are countless other uses, that's just one example.

Dr. Stephen O. Nelson

I can answer most basic physics questions, physics questions about science fiction and everyday observations of physics, etc. I'm also usually good for science fair advice (I'm the regional science fair director). I do not answer homework problems. I will occasionally point out where a homework solution went wrong, though. I'm usually good at explaining odd observations that seem counterintuitive, energy science, nuclear physics, nuclear astrophysics, and alternative theories of physics are my specialties.

I was a physics professor at the University of Texas of the Permian Basin, research in nuclear technology and nuclear astrophysics. My travelling science show saw over 20,000 students of all ages. I taught physics, nuclear chemistry, radiation safety, vacuum technology, and answer tons of questions as I tour schools encouraging students to consider careers in science. I moved on to a non-academic job with more research just recently.

Ph. D. from Duke University in physics, research in nuclear astrophysics reactions, gamma-ray astronomy technology, and advanced nuclear reactors.