I am studying ahead in my textbook in my Physics class (am a bit of a nerd :))

I was doing the following problem and I get the answer, but the book says I am wrong. I was hoping you could check if my answer is right/wrong, and if it is wrong, how do you get the right answer?

Thank you for your time and assistance,

The question is:
A mass moves in a horizontal circle at the end of a 1 meter long cable. When the mass revolves at 5 Hz the tension in the cable is 1974 N. If the frequency of the motion changes to 2 Hz, what does the tension in the cable become?
My answer was 987 Newtons; can you help me get the right answer, or confirm if this *is* correct?

Why did you get a lower answer, if the mass is moving faster?  If it's spinning faster (2 Hz is twice a second, 1 Hz is once a second), won't the tension necessarily increase?  That's all I can do, I don't help with homework problems.  The method is simple, don't overthink it.

Dr. Stephen O. Nelson

I can answer most basic physics questions, physics questions about science fiction and everyday observations of physics, etc. I'm also usually good for science fair advice (I'm the regional science fair director). I do not answer homework problems. I will occasionally point out where a homework solution went wrong, though. I'm usually good at explaining odd observations that seem counterintuitive, energy science, nuclear physics, nuclear astrophysics, and alternative theories of physics are my specialties.

I was a physics professor at the University of Texas of the Permian Basin, research in nuclear technology and nuclear astrophysics. My travelling science show saw over 20,000 students of all ages. I taught physics, nuclear chemistry, radiation safety, vacuum technology, and answer tons of questions as I tour schools encouraging students to consider careers in science. I moved on to a non-academic job with more research just recently.

Ph. D. from Duke University in physics, research in nuclear astrophysics reactions, gamma-ray astronomy technology, and advanced nuclear reactors.